Tuesday 24 July 2012

If you do nothing else today, please share this message...


This letter made us cry. We feel there is no choice but to respond.

HEARTS in HEALTHCARE is an online community and a social movement to re-humanize healthcare and to strengthen compassion and caring.

Jane (not her real name) wrote to say why she wanted to join the community:

My name is Jane. I’m a healthcare worker in Mental Health. I work in a culture of cynicism, stigma and discrimination. People are overlooked and all that seems to be seen is their diagnosis or illness. I’m deeply saddened by what I hear from work colleagues for I feel like I’m on my own. I feel very lonely and feel like I’m in a desert, in other words a harsh environment. 

I value my clients, I love getting to know them and finding out what’s important to them. I love doing life with them, supporting where I can, and I value the quality of relationships I have with my clients. 

The other side is the contrast within my team, I see people making decisions with their  heads and distancing themselves from the clients. I have a vision that it could be so very different. I don’t know how to speak up, I’ve been quiet for too long and don’t know how to survive it, realizing I’m a sensitive person and seem to take on the disrespect and lack of value that I hear being spoken.

I go home and cry for what I’ve heard. I go home and think about what’s happened during my day and realize my team has barriers up and they cant connect with the clients because they are judging them instead of getting to know them and seeing the bigger picture. I then realize I’m putting barriers up with my team and don’t know who to trust. I feel I cant share with anyone because I hear how clients are spoken about with so little regard and realize my colleagues could just as easily speak of me in this detached manner.

I would like to connect with passionate people that are working with integrity and would be able to assist me have difficult conversations with my colleagues. Honest conversations that need to be spoken about. I’ve been thinking that I’m not trying to be popular, but wanting above anything to speak out about the harsh reality of their cruel words that confront me each day and how these spoken words are affecting the quality of care that they are being given. To speak the truth in love and still care about my colleagues and bring effective change to a dark place.”

If you have any family members or friends who require help from mental health services, you will share our concerns about this message. We have heard many others like it.

Please show your support for this courageous healthcare worker by commenting on this post or sharing it with others.

To learn more about HEARTS in HEALTHCARE see our short film.

In anticipation of our launch of the community, we are gathering the names of supporters here.

No comments:

Post a Comment